Thursday, February 5, 2009

Motivation

I more wanted to write this down for myself than any other reason, but tonight just gave me the shot of motivation that I was looking for. Tonight, all of the air contracts (future pilots like myself) got a chance to meet a reserve General and his review board staff, a group of reserve Colonels and Lt Colonels. Up until now there's been a bit of a disconnect between the senior officers and us lieutenants, but tonight was sort of a breaking down of barriers. Having a beer shoved in your hand by a Colonel who happens to be an F-18 pilot is a huge gesture, let alone getting a chance to sit down and talk with him, man to man. The biggest thing that struck me was that these guys truly, deeply, love their jobs. Albeit they aren't all currently active-duty Marines, but the men I talked to all stated that they loved what they do so much that they would do it for free. All of these guys had cool civilian jobs as well, one of them being a producer on CSI: Miami, and this season of Heroes, and then flying things like attack helicopters on the weekends. Awesome.

No comments: