Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Ready, Aim, Fire!

So three days in to the rifle range and I'm finally starting to get the hang of this. It was about 20 degrees this morning at 3:30 when we woke up and got ready to leave and I was told by one of the shooting coaches that it was 23 during our course of fire. A bit cold; I actually lost feeling in my left hand during our initial 20 minute slow shoot.

That being said, I finally started to dial in my shots today. The last couple days I've been hovering around the center of the target, usually in the 4 ring (out of 5). However, I've started taking the shooting coaches' advice to heart, and it's paying off. Once I established a good natural point of aim, it was great. Natural point of aim is where your rifle is pointing without input from you (to find this, breathe in deep, close your eyes and breathe out; where your sight is facing is it) and without establishing it, my shots were going all over the place. I did, however, also screw up a couple of the shots from 500 yards when I tried taking an extra breath during my trigger pull and landed a couple shots in the dirt well before the targets (luckily noone was watching then, so I just pretended it didn't happen).

The pistol is still my favorite. The speed reload drills are awesome and I managed almost all bulls-eyes. These are some long days, but thankfully we're done with the hike out for the week (we take buses tomorrow and friday for qual and prequal days). Rain possible tomorrow, so we'll see how that plays into our shooting...

No comments: