Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Am I really being paid for this?

So today started out at a gentlemanly 3:30 am. We then had a decent breakfast and hiked 3 miles to the rifle range where I spent most of the day shooting guns and hanging out with friends. I honestly don't know why anyone would ever complain about this, and if they are, they're in the wrong line of work. This job is awesome.

That being said, I can't wait for the rest of our time on the rifle range. The rotation is going to be as follows; first we shoot M16's through a course of fire from 200-500 meters (using open sights, which takes real skill), then we move to the Beretta M9 9mm pistol, then we finish the day off in the pits, switching targets. The pits have a deceiving name however, as that is an equally awesome part of the day; sitting in a concrete bunker, doing minimal work, snacking and bullshitting for a couple hours. At the end of the day, we hike back 3 miles and then get ready to do it all again the next day!

I love this job.

4 comments:

Gregor said...

200-500 through open sights? Sheesh, how big is the target?

Kuhmandi said...

Human-sized at 500 and smaller as you move in for getting a direct hit. The full-size target is probably 5 ft across, with concentric rings surrounding the human for scoring, but you're expected to be in the black.

Gregor said...

From a seated and supported position? Prone? My curiousity is peaked!

Kuhmandi said...

ok, starting at 200, you have 20 minutes to take 5 shots each from sitting, kneeling and standing (with time between to wait for the guys in the pits to mark it). After that you do a 10 shot rapid-fire from the sitting (60 seconds) position. From there we move back to 300 where you take 5 shots slow from the sitting and then another 10 round rapid-fire, this time from the prone. Finally we move back to 500 and do a 10 round slow fire from the prone.

We're also doing pistols, which is fucking awesome. I'm not sure of the exact course of fire, but it goes from 7 to 15 to 25 yards, with combinations of single action and double action shots (hammer cocked and uncocked). We also do speed reloads where we have 10 seconds to fire a shot, reload and fire another one (which I heard will be like 5 and 5 on the test this Friday).

I'm hovering around expert on rifle, I seem to have some trouble getting my rounds in the black in the 200, but they're all still just outside for scoring. Pistol is by far my favorite though, a lot of people have problems with it, but I think it's really fun and definitely easier.