Monday, November 24, 2008

The people you see in REI...

So I'm at REI with a couple friends yesterday, and we're standing in line, waiting to check out, when I start to notice the gentleman standing in front of me. I slowly begin to realize that above the Teva sandals, and skin-tight tear-away pants are two leather, braided tassels hanging out from under his over-sized white tshirt. Atop his head is what can only be described as a leather, wool-lined yarmukah, covering a wooly, bearded head. The next moment, a lady checking out starts yelling at another man that he dropped a $20. The gentleman in front of me starts yelling at the top of his voice "HAS ANYONE DROPPED A $20?". Once the relatively simple situation is rectified, the store goes quiet again and everyone around us reverts back to their normal conversations. Approximately 30-45 seconds later, the gentleman in front of me turns around, giving me a better look at him; not only does he have a massive beard (that i can only assume houses at least 1 family of barn swallows), but the "tshirt" i thought he was wearing, was in fact a tunic of some sort, cut in a V down the front to show off his large amount of chest hair. He looks at through his 1/2 inch-thick glasses, and yells in my face "IS SOMEONE MOCKING ME? I HATE IT WHEN PEOPLE MOCK ME". After my initial confusion and the 10 seconds it takes me to realize that his eyes are focused on me through those glasses, all I can respond with is "What?", to which he replies "I thought someone was mocking me, I hate that". He turns back around and I look at my friend and we both have to stare in opposite directions to avoid bursting out laughing. I check out and later witness this man stomping through the parking lot in an apparent fit of anger.

Noone said anything out loud, but you can bet your ass we are NOW mocking him...

No comments: